A post on GoogleThink Insights is worth reflecting on relative to what they are seeing with Internet behaviours and travellers.
1. Dreaming: 50% of people go online when starting to think about a trip
Implication: How well do you know your ideal guest? Do you know which online distribution channels they use to find you? Sources of info to validate your biz? And if you do know, are you doing anything about it?
2. Planning: 85% of leisure travellers plan their trips online
Implication: As Michael J Fox said in our 2010 Olympic campaigns — You Gotta Be There!
3. Booking: 53% plan to increase their comparison shopping with travel
Implication: If you are differentiating on price, you will be lumped in the masses. If you are differentiating on value this must be communicated online to prospective guests.
4. Experiencing (Love that one) – 50% use a mobile device of some sort when travelling
Implication: Do you have an App? Can your website be easily read/navigated on an iphone? Are you accessible in this space so you can be found?
5. Sharing: 32% of business travellers post about their travels on line! Imagine what the leisure travellers are doing?
Implication: Are you listening and learning about what people are saying about you online? If you still don’t have a trip advisor account, get one now!
Take a peak at the link above and then ask yourself – Am I well positioned to benefit from this information? If yes, pat yourself on the back, grab a cup of coffee and smile. If not – get some action items into your workplan!